Oct 19, 2009

Office Parks of Metro Atlanta











The Atlanta Metro’s first office park, Executive Park, debuted in the late 1960s off I-85 and North Druid Hills Rd. It was flashy, modern and far away from the Atlanta city center. Currently Executive Park houses an eclectic collection of government offices, doctor buildings, and municipal services. The entire park plus perimeter properties are scheduled for redevelopment by the Sembler Company. The current advertisement by Taylor&Mathis states

[Executive Park] continues to provide an exceptional office environment in an extraordinarily convenient and highly-visible location at I-85 and North Druid Hills Road. Executive Park is just minutes from Downtown and Buckhead – yet away from the congestion, with ready access to I-85 and nearby GA 400.

There is no mention of the park-like setting with accessible strip malls, fast food, and gated subdivisions conveniently flanking the serpentine wooded lanes of Executive Park.



The Atlanta Metro's newer premier office park is named simply Concourse. Two lakes and a wonderful population of canadian geese wander the manicured woodlands of Concourse. It's convenient to I-285 and GA 400 at Ashford-Dunwoody Rd. The king and queen towers of Concourse are hard to miss when traveling north or south on GA 400 or east-west on I-285. The towers advertise the modern space set far from the city center with endless amenities nearby.

I take most of my pictures from a bicycle seat and of all suburban images the office park is one of the most difficult to access by bicycle. I did not take these images due to fear of death. I took a few pictures of Executive Park last year for another project after biking the wrong way down a one way access road off I-85 and have no wish for a flashback. Oddly, as difficult to bike or walk to either of the mentioned office parks, a thriving homeless colony is established in the woodlands of Executive Park.

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea this was the first office park in town. Where are you original photos???

    ReplyDelete