Nov 2, 2009

Gated Communities


I took this photo around the Lake Lanier. Security guys did not allow me to take the gate, however I took their waterfalls near the entrance. Setha Low says "Like other middle class Americans, residents of gated communities are looking for a place where they feel comfortable and secure, but this seemingly self-evident explanation reflects different underlying meanings and intentions. And collectively, their individual decisions are transforming the American dream of owning a suburban home in a close-knit community with easy access to nature into a vision that includes gates, walls, and guards (in my case, also waterfalls) Suburban Reader, p 462.

1 comment:

  1. Terrific photo, Musemma. I can't believe the didn't permit you take a photo of the gate...presumably from the street, right? I'm not sure they have that right! But it's not unexpected. Were they friendly or hostile? Did the complex seem friendly or hostile?

    ReplyDelete